About White Gram
- The white gram or chickpea or chick pea is an annual legume of the family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae.
- Its different types are variously known as gram or Bengal gram, chhana, chana, or channa, garbanzo or garbanzo bean, or Egyptian pea.
- Chickpea seeds are high in protein.
- The chickpea is a key ingredient in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, used in hummus, and, when soaked and coarsely ground with herbs and spices then made into patties and fried, falafel.
- As an important part of Indian cuisine, it is used in salads, soups and stews, and curry, in chana masala, and in other food products that contain channa (chickpeas).
- In 2019, India was responsible for 70% of global chickpea production.
- These are loaded with several vitamins and minerals that contribute to a healthy body.
- Help in keeping appetite under control
- Help lower down calorie intake
- Helps in weight management
- Help manage your blood sugar levels
- Keep your gut healthy
- Built immunity
- Boosts heart health
- Enhances bone health
- Prevent high blood pressure
- Reduce bad cholesterol levels
- Protection against certain types of cancer
Control Blood Sugar levels: White Chickpeas have amylose, a resistant starch that slows down the digestion process. It also contains a low glycemic index and low glycemic load that helps prevent the sudden spike in insulin levels and keeps blood sugar parameters under control.
- Promote Heart Health: Chickpeas are high in fibre that typically helps in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Give you Stronger Bones: Kabuli Chana is rich in calcium, magnesium, fibre, vitamins and minerals that contribute to improving bone health.
- Nervous System Health: The protein in chickpeas also helps with nervous system health. Protein amino acids affect neurotransmitters in the brain and help them function properly.
- Keep your Liver Healthy: White chickpeas contain the goodness of selenium and folate that combine to offer antioxidant effects which not only support liver enzyme function but also detoxify and cleanse your body by throwing out cancer-causing compounds.