About Forbidden rice
- Black rice or Forbidden rice is a whole grain with the outermost layer of bran intact.
- This makes it a type of brown rice or unrefined rice.
- Soak the forbidden rice overnight for cooking it easily.
- The black rice would require a slightly more amount of water for cooking than the other rice varieties.
- Forbidden rice has a deep black color and usually turns deep purple when cooked. Black rice’s dark purple color is primarily due to its anthocyanin content which is higher by weight than that of other colored grains.Forbidden rice is suitable for creating porridge, dessert, traditional Chinese black rice cake, bread, and noodles. Black rice is becoming more well-known as a result of its photochemistry, functional qualities, dietary applications, and potential health advantages
- Black rice contains a boost of nutrients that help your body work properly, such as vitamin E, calcium and potassium.
- Carotenoids (a type of antioxidant) in forbidden rice helps protect the healthy cells in your eyes, especially your retinas. Carotenoids have also been shown to reduce the potentially harmful effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation and prevent the growth of cancerous cells. Vitamin E in anthocyanin that is present in black rice also protects the health of your eyes, as well as your skin and immune system.
- Plant-based nutrients and antioxidants in black rice help reduce swelling in your body. While we need more research, says Czerwony, eating black rice may ease symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and dermatitis.The outer layer of a black rice grain contains a higher level of the antioxidant anthocyanin than other types of rice and many other foods. Antioxidants help prevent cardiovascular disease, improve brain function and protect against cancer caused by free radicals damaging your cells.